What Makes A Sewing Machine Good For Denim And Leather?
Over the years, denim has become the most worn fabric around the world. Denim has always been preferred by most people as a style quotient. Notwithstanding the climate, denim pants are favored by a great many people.
Denim suits all climates and is suitable to be worn for daytime or nighttime activities. Similarly, wearing leather jackets has also become a style statement. Consequently, the market value of denim and leather has increased exponentially.
Likewise, denim has been up there in the style category since its beginning. Hence, the desire to have denim garments in the closet has become compulsory over time.
Making your own denim garments can save a great deal of cash which you can spend on different things. Additionally, you have the freedom of creating wardrobe pieces uniquely yours.
For sewing denim or leather having the right sewing machine is very important. To find out which sewing machine is good for denim and leather, we need to consider several features. As the material we want to sew is quite tough, buying a durable heavy-duty machine is a must.
Heavy-duty sewing machines have a stronger body that can easily handle the toughness of the material. The sewing machine must have a dedicated denim needle that can penetrate the tough fabric of denim or leather. These dedicated needles are intended to sew firmly woven textures like denim and are stouter than a standard needle.
The eye of the needle is extremely thin on a denim needle. You might have to grease up the needle to assist it with punching through the thick texture of the fabric. You should change the needle routinely as it will dull with use after some time. Some sewing machines will come with a committed denim needle, yet you should buy them independently if the machine isn’t kitted out.
The best sewing machine for pants will come with a metal sewing deck and — above all — a solid engine. A solid engine will guarantee that your machine can work the needle through your denim or leather without snapping.
It will likewise mean your machine can take on various layers of thick textures. A metal deck instead of plastic lends stability and gives the machine an extended life expectancy.
Some other features that you should have for working denim and leather are longer stitch length and zig zag stitch options. Longer stitches provide better results.
Longer length fastens are best for denim, as a more limited join might bring about snapped strings or broken needles with these cumbersome fabrics. If your sewing machine has the possibility for variable fasten lengths, you’ll have the option to pick the ideal join for the texture.
On the best sewing machine for denim, you’ll have the option of a dial to choose a fasten length easily.
Zigzag stitches prevent the fraying of the fabric and add to the beauty of the garment as well. Any individual who has attempted to sew denim before will be aware of how effectively this texture becomes difficult to work with if you don’t watch out. Ensure that your sewing machine has a crisscross fasten available for the work.
What Are the Maximum Number of Layers of Denim or Leather a Sewing Machine Can Sew?
The thickness of denim and leather can be frustrating to work with. Particularly when you’re eager to create your new wardrobe and your home sewing machine will not go through the material.
This can be the case when sewing with layers of upholstery, denim, vinyl, calfskin, sewn textures, suede, imitation leather, and so on. Sewing seams with these thick textures is difficult and many people will struggle with their home sewing machines before realizing its shortcomings.
What’s more, a few seams are bound to slip and that is the point at which the bad dream truly starts.
Although buying a heavy-duty sewing machine ensures sewing tough materials like denim and leather, knowing the maximum thickness or layers of material being sewn is also very important.
Your fabric must be within these extents.
9 Best Sewing Machines for Denim and Leather
Here are the 9 best sewing machines for leather and denim:
1. Singer 4423 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration. Amps (0.7). Watts (84). Volts (120). Hz (60)
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE:The Singer 4423 Sewing Machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1, 100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor provides greater piercing power for thick seams
This extremely efficient Singer 4423 sewing machine is equipped with a powerful motor that has the best stitching speed of 1100 stitches per minute. The strength of this heavy-duty machine is evident by the number of layers it can sew at a time—up to eight layers of tough fabric.
Another excellent feature is the variety of stitches it provides. This Singer 4432 heavy-duty sewing machine can sew 6 basic stitches, 7 stretch, and 18 advanced stitches, which sets it apart from many sewing machines. Another factor that Singer machines are favored from one side of the planet to the other is their modest costs.
There are 3 distinct models available, the costs of which depend upon the features you choose to add.
2. Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW
- 50 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW features 50 built-in stitches including 5 auto-size buttonholes
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The CS5055PRW comes with 7 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, instruction manual and more
- LCD SCREEN: Simply select your stitches with the push of a button and view your selection on the LCD display
Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW can sew tough fabrics like denim and leather with much ease, all because of the efficient drop-feed system. This lightweight sewing machine can sew a range of stitches from utility to decorative and heirloom.
It also allows you to adjust the stitch length and width which is very important for excellent results. Its other unique features include an automatic needle threader, vertical spool pin, and top-loading bobbin.
Creative designs have been an essential piece of fashion. Thus, it is a necessity to have various capabilities on your machine. This machine gives you the ability to create different looks and add to the style level. The variable stitch length makes this choice worthy of consideration.
It has 7 stitch lengths, the most noteworthy being .25 inches (7mm) in width. This feature is especially helpful when sewing pants with various join and stitch lengths.
3. Brother XR9500PRW Sewing Machine
The Brother XR9500PRW Sewing Machine is one of the best sewing machines from the Project Runway Series. This sewing machine has earned a great reputation because of its computerized system which makes errorless sewing possible.
The computerized LCD screen displays a detailed stitch collection and guide. This is the best choice for beginners because of the monitor screen. Some other excellent capabilities of this sewing machine are the automatic features that help in creating new and creative designs.
4. Janome HD 3000 Sewing Machine
- Built-in Needle Threader
- Reverse Stitch Lever
- Snap-on Presser Feet
- Foot Pressure Adjustment
- 8 Stitches, 1 One-step Buttonhole
The Janome HD 3000 Sewing Machine is an exceptional commercial-level sewing machine. The most important feature is its capability to sew tough fabrics like denim and leather with great ease. All this is possible because of the strong metallic construction and a powerful 1-amp motor. It can sew up to 860 stitches per minute.
It also provides 7 options on the presser foot which allows stitching with freedom. Another unique feature is its single task stitches monitor. It is recommended by many around the world as a solid all-purpose machine that can deal with thicker fabrics with ease.
5. Singer 9960 Computerized Sewing Machine
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams. Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting. There’s even a selection of fonts to personalize projects.
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds. The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration.
The Singer 9960 Computerized Sewing Machine is a perfect choice for experts. It is an excellent heavy-duty machine with great reviews and a reputation for stitching denim and leather. Its computerized sewing system makes sewing so simple and easy.
It has 600 inbuilt stitches and a stitching speed of 850 stitches per minute. Its spacious design makes sewing easy and perfect. Unlike beginners, its elaborate function list can be super exciting for intermediate and advanced sewers. Its intricate stitches pattern and functions are enticing.
Thus, the Singer 9960 is an incredible choice if you are searching for a substantial sewing machine for denim or leather. However, it is one of the more expensive machines on the rundown. It is fit for sewing absolutely everything that a normal machine can do.
6. Juki Exceed F600 Sewing Machine
Juki is a company reputed for its simple instructions and steady operation. The Juki Exceed F600 Sewing Machine can sew denim and leather fabrics with great ease. This sewing machine can do both knitting and sewing.
You can get both jobs done while paying for only one. Juki’s specialty is its simple setup which makes it perfect for all types of sewers from beginners to experts. Its spacious design provides the extra comfort and ease necessary for excellent results.
7. SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine boasts an array of features that make creating elegant garments and gifts for yourself and others fun and exciting. The Sewing machine with 32 built-in stitches includes 6 Basic, 7 Stretch, 18 Decorative Stitches and 1 Fully Automatic 1-step Buttonholes. A large variety of stitches for all types of sewing and perfect for crafts, home decor, clothing construction and much more.6.25″ sewing space (needle to tower) and 4.25″ height
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration, Machine Size – 15.5 x 6.25 x 12 inches
The SINGER 4452 model comes with an accessory package specially designed for tough fabrics like denim and leather.
Its even feed/walking presser foot can glide over thick-layered fabrics and easily adjust to multiple layers of tough materials like denim and leather. It allows you to sew with 32 built-in stitches and even an automatic button-maker setting. It also has an automatic needle threading function to take away the fuss of threading.
This sewing machine also offers a wide sewing area with a heavy-duty motor 60% stronger than other models that can power needles through denim and leather. A non-stick foot ensures movement over tacky surfaces such as vinyl and leather.
8. Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine
The Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine is an excellent choice for beginners. Its high-tech interior and attractive exterior enable it to make our top 9 sewing machine list.
The Janome Magnolia enables you to stitch in 18 different ways. Its easy-to-follow instructions make it easy to use and maintain.
This portable sewing machine has jam-free functions which glide over tough fabrics as well. Its portable size and lightweight body also make it very handy to keep at home. You will get all these features at a very economical price.
9. Janome HD 1000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
- 14 Built-In Stitches including Utility Stitches, Stretch Stitches and a Simple to Use 4 Step Buttonhole
- The Janome HD1000’s Body is Made of Cast Aluminum and Like the Metal Machines of Years Ago the Janome HD1000 is Made To Last
- Comes with A Bunch of Different Accessories Including – Bobbins, Felt, Extra Needles, Two Screwdrivers, Seam Ripper/Buttonhole Ripper, Zipper Foot, Hemmer Foot, Buttonhole Foot, a Hem Guide and a Soft Cover
- The HD1000 Has A Free Arm For Sewing Pants, Cuffs and Collars and Drop Feed for Darning, Stippling, Attaching Buttons and Other Free Motion Applications
The Janome HD 1000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine is the best for hard fabrics like raw denim and leather. Being made completely of aluminum, it is extremely adept at handling thick and hard fabrics. As its name suggests, it is a sewing machine with exceptional strength and features.
Its powerful motor and metallic body play an integral role in its efficiency. It comes with a package of free accessories as well.
With a high-pressure foot, sewing denim and leather is effortless. You can easily shift from thin to thick fabrics by some slight adjustments in the stitch length. It comes with 14 built-in stitches, a free-arm function, and an automatic needle threader.